Happy Foodie Friday! Today I have a recipe for a biscuit topped chicken pot pie! Now, I LOVE chicken pot pie. Most of the time I make it the day after I make a roasted chicken for dinner (like this week) but sometimes I will quickly poach some chicken to make it. This is so easy to make, and so delicious. I don’t know about you, but I always have half-used bags of frozen veg (usually from making baby food) in my freezer, and this is a perfect way to use them up – you can pretty much dump any veg in here and it will be wonderful! This week I used green beans & peas, but asparagus is great as is broccoli or even brussels sprouts (cut them in half or quarters first).
This is a wonderful one pot – plus food processer – meal. Yes, I make my biscuits in the food processer. It’s so easy, and quick! To make the biscuits black pepper, I just add about a tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper. (or not) Then, I flour my hands, scoop out of the food processer and “knead” a few times in my hands. Then I pat into a circle or square and place on top of the pie and smoosh to the edges. Easy peasy!
I usually make this is two square pyrex dishes – so I have one to freeze. This time, I made it in foil ones since I broke one of my pyrexes the other day. You can also make in one large rectangular pan if you have a larger family. If you’re using a glass or metal pan to make it, just line the pan with foil and grease. Then, put the whole thing in the freezer. Once the pot pie is frozen, it will lift right out of the pan and you can wrap it up. Then, to bake, just unwrap and pop it back into the pan! Thaw it in the morning and pop it into the oven for dinner!
Black Pepper Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp sage
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- few grates fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
- 3 cups cooked and diced chicken
- 1 1/2 cups peas
- 1 1/2 cups green beans
- 2 recipes of your favorite prepared biscuit dough, with 1 Tbs black pepper added
1. Sautee the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, potatoes and mushrooms in the butter,oil and a dash of salt until soft. Sprinkle with the spices and the flour to make a roux and cook for about a minute. Add the stock and the milk, bring to a bubble and cook until it thickens. Stir in the chicken and the frozen vegetables and bring up to a bubble again. Taste and adjust for seasoning and pour into 2 square pyrex pans.
2. Prepare your favorite biscuit dough, adding 1 Tbs of black pepper. Pat on top of the pot pies. Don’t bring it all the way to the edge or if you do pierce a few times with a knife so the steam can escape. Brush the biscuit with a bit of milk and place the pies into a preheated 425 F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden and the pie is bubbly.